Would you revisit a movie you loathed time and time again?
Of course you wouldn’t. So why would you go back, in the theater of your mind, and revisit thoughts that cause you pain, stress, and disease?
Almost every minute of every day your head is full of thoughts, beliefs, and expectations. You have more conversations with yourself in the course of the day than you do with everyone else you communicate with… combined! And the truth is, your self-talk or inner chatter, is mostly negative and self-limiting. In other words, it limits your potential, impedes achievement, and severely damages your “authentic” self confidence and self-esteem. If your inner chatter is negative and self-limiting, chances are overwhelmingly favorable that your communications with others will be the same.
One success principle that is indisputable and immutable
The quality of your inner chatter determines the quality of your life.
Perhaps you believe you are a positive and upbeat person. And maybe you are. But the important question is, are you really listening to your inner chatter? How many times a day do you tell yourself you love yourself; that you’re darn good at what you do; and that you are a highly valued member of your family, circle of friends, and employer? How many times a day do you applaud your achievements and praise yourself for even minor successes like dressing well, driving well, or ignoring an argument without resentment? The truth of the matter is, if you are like most people, you are totally unaware of your own inner chatter day-to-day. And unconsciously, you will beat yourself up far more often than you will appreciate all that you are.
Consistency is key
The best way to remain happy, inspired, and confident – even in the wake of some of life’s tough stuff – is to consistently be aware of your inner chatter; and know you have the ability to manage it. When you allow your inner chatter to run rampant involuntarily – happiness, achievement, and a sense of calm is impossible. But when you manage your inner conversations and ensure your inner chatter is constructive, positive, and loving on a “consistent basis,” this positive inner chatter will produce an extraordinary life.
5 Specific Ways to Improve Your Inner Chatter to Live a Life of Abundance
- Alleviate ALL trash talk and foul language. When you raise the level of your vocabulary consistently, this will automatically improve your own inner chatter.
- Praise yourself 5 times a day. Five times a day will lead to 10, 15, and 20 times a day. And this will automatically improve your inner chatter and quality of your life.
- Make a conscious effort to praise 5 people every day. This, too, will lead to 10, 15, and 20 times a day and will automatically improve your inner chatter. What goes around comes around!
- Be keenly aware when you begin to have negative inner conversations (thoughts).Ask yourself, “Do I need this conversation? Is this who I want to be? What positive thoughts can I substitute here?”
- Be aware of the root causes of your negative chatter.Then, begin to work on resolving those issues in a constructive manner and positive inner chatter – you can’t correct what you are unaware of or don’t acknowledge.